Position Title: Firmware Engineer
Reporting to: Director of Software
Location: Austin, TX
Ambiq Micro is a fabless semiconductor company based in Austin, TX developing the world’s most energy efficient integrated circuits for electronic devices with multi-month, multi-year, and multi-decade battery lives. Using technology originally invented by leading low power circuit researchers at the University of Michigan, Ambiq is developing a series of ultra-low power products on the Subthreshold Power Optimized Technology (SPOT) Platform. The company’s first product is the world’s most energy-efficient real-time clock and has gained significant customer traction to date. The company’s next product will be the first in a line of ultra-low power ARM Cortex-based microcontrollers. Key markets include wearables, smart cards, wireless sensors, watches, medical devices, and a wide variety of other wireless devices. Ambiq has adopted a customer-focused approach and will evolve its product line according to the needs of customers seeking to develop smaller, less expensive products with longer battery life.
The Ambiq team includes low power experts and industry veterans and is growing quickly. New team members will join an evolving and exciting environment that values technology-based innovation, adaptation, and, above all, an enthusiasm for energy efficiency.
Scope and Responsibilities
The Eclipse Firmware Engineer is responsible for importing, building and extending plugins for the Eclipse IDE. This person is also responsible for maintaining any other open source tool chain components that are needed such as openocd. This person’s initial primary task is to implement a complex series of eclipse plugins to implement an energy profiling work bench. This person will, over time, import llvm and lldb and associated tools and provide an llvm based tool flow under eclipse to augment our gcc, Keil and IAR based tool chain offerings.
This firmware engineer should have extensive experience in importing open source tools, building them from scratch and extending them as needed. In particular this person must have experience with developing and maintaining plugins for eclipse and in the integration of debugger connections to eclipse. This person must have experience with low level debugger connections to eclipse.
- Provide pre-built standard eclipse platforms from the web into our release packages, i.e. Kepler, Luna, etc. for both Linux and Windows.
- Test and maintain standard eclipse platforms for both Windows and Linux.
- Modify or recommend modifications to our total code base so that it continues to work with standard eclipse releases.
- Import and build open source code bases as required to support our tool chains.
- Implement new and complex plugins for eclipse in aid of our energy profiling efforts.
- Design, develop, and maintain your assigned components.
- Develop test plans for your components.
- Implement and execute test cases as defined in the test plan.
- Assist with the definition and development of our Jenkins based test automation harness.
- Import, build and maintain an llvm based tool chain for Amiq Micro’s MCUs.
- Improve llvm’s energy efficiency in ways to be discovered by you.
The SDK Firmware Engineer must have experience in the import, build, design and development of plugins for the eclipse IDE. Knowledge of ARM based MCUs and typical tool chains are required as is knowledge of the open source llvm tool chain.
- MS in ECE or Computer Science or BS ECE/CS with 10+ years of experience. Non-degreed candidates with 10+ year’s applicable experience will be considered.
- Experience working with eclipse and its plugins required.
- Experience developing and maintaining eclipse plugins required.
- Experience working with instruction trace profiling techniques required.
- Experience working with and developing firmware for embedded MCUs and controllers required.
- Experience developing firmware for Arm Cortex Processors or similar processors required.
- Experience developing embedded MCU code in C and assembly language required.
- Experience with scripting languages (java, python) required.
- Experience with source code control systems (git) required.
- Experience with test automation tools like buildbot or Jenkins required.
- Experience with llvm, lld and lldb tool chains required.
- Benchmark development and use experience is highly desirable.
- Excellent problem solving skills dealing with complex system level issues related to HW/SW debug.
Key Personal and Professional Attributes
Ambiq Micro management is building a company that values continued technology innovation, a fanatical attention to customer needs, collaborative decision making, and, above all, enthusiasm for energy efficiency. The incoming candidate should embrace these same values. The successful candidate must be self-motivated, extremely creative, and should be comfortable learning exciting new technologies. This is an opportunity for growth and an opportunity to work on complex, interesting, and challenging projects.
Please submit resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org
Ambiq Micro does not accept unsolicited resumes from headhunters, recruitment agencies or fee based recruitment services.