Position Title: Firmware Engineer – Debug
Reporting to: Director of Software
Location: Austin, TX
Ambiq Micro is a fabless semiconductor company based in Austin, TX developing the world’s most
energy efficient integrated circuits for electronic devices with multi-month, multi-year, and multi-decade battery lives. Using technology originally invented by leading low power circuit researchers at the University of Michigan, Ambiq is developing a series of ultra-low power products on the Subthreshold Power Optimized Technology (SPOT) Platform. The company’s first product is the world’s most energy-efficient real-time clock and has gained significant customer traction to date. The company’s next product will be the first in a line of ultra-low power ARM Cortex-based microcontrollers. Key markets include wearables, smart cards, wireless sensors, watches, medical devices, and a wide variety of other wireless devices. Ambiq has adopted a customer-focused approach and will evolve its product line according to the needs of customers seeking to develop smaller, less expensive products with longer battery life.
The Ambiq team includes low power experts and industry veterans and is growing quickly. New team members will join an evolving and exciting environment that values technology-based innovation, adaptation, and, above all, an enthusiasm for energy efficiency.
Scope and Responsibilities
The Debugger & Power Profiler Firmware Engineer is responsible for defining, developing, and supporting debuggers, such as an Ambiq Micro CMSIS DAP debugger as well the trace and profiling capture tool. The capture tool is designed to sample energy consumption from our MCU applications and correlate the energy consumption with the program execution state in the MCU. The tool presents this correlated view to a firmware developer in an easy to grasp and easy to navigate way. In addition to developing and supporting current and future versions of Ambiq Micros debuggers and power profilers, this person will work with various 3rd party tool chain providers to make the Ambiq Micro unique low power tooling available from our tool chain partners.
- Assist with the definition and architecture of the hardware and firmware for debuggers and power profilers.
- Develop CMSIS DAP implementation for Ambiq Micro’s Apollo MCU and follow-ons.
- Develop an energy profile capture and correlation tool that includes ETM trace correlation.
- Develop an openocd driver for CMSIS DAP connections via SWD.
- Design and develop your assigned debugger and profiler components.
- Develop test plans for the various debuggers and profilers.
- Implement and execute test cases as defined in the test plan.
- Assist with the definition and development of the test automation harness for your components.
- Suggest, define and develop demonstration applications for the Ambiq Micro MCU and its firmware packages to showcase our power profiler and debugger integration.
The Debugger & Power Profiler Firmware Engineer must have extensive experience in the design, development and use of JTAG based debugger interfaces for embedded firmware applications. This person should have significant experience developing for and debugging on ARM based platforms.
A deep knowledge of JTAG and SWD interfaces for debuggers is important.
- MS in ECE or Computer Science and 3+ years of experience or BS ECE/CS with 5+ years of experience. Non-degreed candidates with 7+ year’s applicable experience will be considered.
- Extensive experience implementing and optimizing debugger interfaces based on JTAG, SWD or other.
- Experience working with instruction trace profiling techniques required.
- Experience working with and developing firmware for embedded MCUs and controllers required.
- Experience developing firmware for Arm Cortex Processors or similar processors required.
- Experience developing embedded MCU code in C and assembly language required.
- Experience working hands-on in the lab.
- Experience with at least one MCU IDE from ARM, Keil, IAR, GHS, gcc, LLVM or other.
- Experience with cross development on Linux platforms required.
- Experience with scripting languages (python) required.
- Familiarity with source code control systems (git) required.
- Excellent problem solving skills dealing with complex system level issues related to HW/SW debug.
Key Personal and Professional Attributes
Ambiq Micro management is building a company that values continued technology innovation, a fanatical attention to customer needs, collaborative decision making, and, above all, enthusiasm for energy efficiency. The incoming candidate should embrace these same values. The successful candidate must be self-motivated, extremely creative, and should be comfortable learning exciting new technologies. This is an opportunity for growth and an opportunity to work on complex, interesting, and challenging projects.
Please submit resumes to email@example.com
Ambiq Micro does not accept unsolicited resumes from headhunters, recruitment agencies or fee based recruitment services.