Position Title: Analog IC Design Engineer
Reporting to: Director of Analog IC Design
Location: Austin, TX
Ambiq Micro was founded in 2010 on the simple yet powerful notion that extremely low power semiconductors are the key to the future of electronics. Through the use of pioneering ultra-low power technology, we help innovative companies around the world develop differentiated solutions that reduce or eliminate the need for batteries, lower overall system power, and maximize industrial design flexibility. Ambiq Micro has developed breakthrough technology based on our patented Subthreshold Power Optimized Technology (SPOT™) platform that dramatically reduces the amount of power consumed by semiconductors thus making our integrated circuits (ICs) an ideal solution for energy critical applications such as wearables and IoT.
Our Real Time Clock and MCU products are the world’s lowest power devices of their kind, both being based on Ambiq’s patented Subthreshold Power Optimized Technology (SPOT™) platform. This innovative technology enables the ability to operate transistors at voltage levels that are far below what is considered “standard” by semiconductor industry standards. This results in solutions that go well beyond the incremental improvements in power consumption that other semiconductor devices have offered. The devices, which are manufactured in an industry-standard CMOS manufacturing process, are an ideal solution for battery-powered and other power-sensitive applications including Internet of Things (IoT) and wearable devices where energy savings translate into much longer battery life. These semiconductor components can also enable much smaller batteries to be used, allowing greater creativity in the design and form factor of the end products that utilize these innovative solutions.
Scope and Responsibilities
The Analog IC Design Engineer is responsible for specifying, designing, and verifying various nanoamp components in Ambiq Micro’s family of mixed-signal energy-efficient semiconductor devices. Key components initially include analog-to-digital converters, linear and switch mode voltage regulators, voltage reference generators, custom memories, oscillators and comparators and will broaden to include low power RF design and various sensor interfaces. As part of a small but growing startup team, the analog IC designer will participate in all aspects of chip development, from initial design specification through volume manufacturing.
- Chip level and block level spec definition
- Circuit architectural design and verification
- Transistor level analog IC circuit design and verification
- Directly conduct or closely supervise the analog circuit layout
- Conduct design reviews and resolve action items generated as a result of these reviews
- Attend design reviews to provide input and guidance to other designers
- Work with digital designers to interface with and verify analog circuit block
- Assist in prototype chip testing to validate analog circuit blocks
- Develop and implement a manufacturing test plan for analog circuit blocks; support efficient test program development
- Support marketing in product definition
- Support product engineering to meet manufacturing/production needs
- Support applications engineering to meet customer needs
The qualified candidate should be an engineer with experience developing advanced analog/mixed-signal circuits. Experience should include high-level modeling, spec definition, transistor level design, layout, test, evaluation, and debugging of prototype ICs. The ideal candidate will have a strong intuitive and analytical understanding of transistor-level design including stability, matching, transient and noise analysis, low power design trade-offs, and architectural and systems issues. A deep knowledge of transistor operation in the subthreshold regime is highly desirable. The analog IC design engineer must work extensively with Ambiq Micro digital, applications, and product engineers, so a familiarity with digital, lab, and product test issues is highly desirable.
- Master’s degree or equivalent training in related field and 5+ years of related experience. An advanced degree (e.g., PhD) may reduce the minimum experience required.
- Experience in the full design flow, from specification to circuit design/verification to prototype testing to high volume production support
- Experience designing various analog circuits including memory cells, voltage regulators, voltage reference generators, analog-to-digital converters, crystal oscillators, and DC-DC converters
- Solid background in semiconductor physics and signal processing
- Experience designing subthreshold-biased or ultra-low power analog circuits is extremely desirable
- Experience working with a team of analog and digital designers in a mixed-signal environment
- Experience guiding layout trade-offs for performance and size
- Experience designing analog circuits for testability using special test modes, scan, etc.
Ambiq Micro management is building a company that values continued technology innovation, a fanatical attention to customer needs, collaborative decision making, and, above all, enthusiasm for energy efficiency. Besides embracing these same values, the qualified candidate must be self-motivated, extremely creative, and should be comfortable learning exciting new technologies. This is an opportunity for growth and an opportunity to work on complex, interesting, and challenging projects.
Please submit resumes to email@example.com
Ambiq Micro does not accept unsolicited resumes from headhunters, recruitment agencies or fee based recruitment services.